Liposuction is a safe, poplar cosmetic procedure that results in significant improvements in body contour and shape. Are you considering liposuction? Read on:
Liposuction can be performed alone or with other procedures; it removes unwanted fat deposits which have been unresponsive to diet and exercise. It’s effective at reducing localized fat deposits on the buttocks, thighs, hips, abdomen, waist, inner knee, and the chin and neck area.
The best candidates for liposuction are adults with firm, elastic skin and good muscle tone, who have pockets of excess fat and who are within 30% of their ideal weight.
How do you prepare for liposuction?
Prior to your procedure, you may be asked to:
- Stop smoking;
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications;
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation; and
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, and herbal supplements, as these are associated with an increase in bleeding.
What does the procedure involve?
- Anesthesia – Medications will be administered for your comfort. Your individual needs and history will determine the best choice for you.
- Incisions – Liposuction is performed through tiny incisions. A thin hollow tube is inserted through the incisions to loosen the excess fat using a back and forth motion. The dislodged fat is suctioned away using a surgical vacuum or syringe attached to the tube. Sutures are then placed at the site of the incisions.
Some swelling is common following liposuction, but it quickly subsides, revealing your body’s new contour. The results will be long lasting if you maintain a stable weight.
Following your physician’s instructions after liposuction is important. Your incisions should not be subjected to excessive motion, force, swelling, or abrasion while they heal. You will be given a compression garment or elastic bandages to cover your treatment areas following surgery to help control swelling and compresses your skin to its new contours. Additionally, small temporary drains may be placed in the incisions beneath the skin to remove any excess blood or fluid.
Summer is almost here…it’s the perfect time for liposuction. Call to schedule a consultation, today: (801) 268-2650.