What’s It All About, BOTOX®?
- Posted on: May 15 2016
You’ve heard of it, read about it, seen before-and-after photos – in fact, you may have tried it – Botox®. Are you just a little bit curious about it and how it works? If so, read on to learn a few things you may not know about the most popular aesthetic cosmetic procedure in the world:
- The FDA approved Botox® for eye spasms in 1989 and in 2002, approved it for creases, frown lines and wrinkles. Botox® is made from botulinum toxin type A, a neurotoxic protein produced by bacteria.
- Many years ago, scientists found that injecting tiny amounts of botulinum toxin type A into a muscle temporarily paralyzed that muscle. This is great and important news for your face because muscles are the cause of wrinkles around your forehead and eyes. Wrinkles form because you make repeated muscle contractions when you frown, laugh and squint. When injected into the muscle, Botox® blocks nerve signals to that muscle, stopping the contraction of the targeted muscle. Without the contraction, the wrinkle above the muscle either disappears or dramatically lessens.
- The frown area is the most common area to be treated and usually requires five small pokes with a tiny needle. It is surprisingly easy.
- Botox® results are not immediate. Unlike injectable dermal fillers such as Juvéderm™, Botox® takes about a week to fully relax the muscle. The full results last from four to six months, but many of our clients find that the results last longer.
- It’s true, Botox® does wear off. We have found that most of our clients love it and how it makes them look and feel…and they return for repeat injections.
It’s spring! Summer is just around the corner! Schedule a Botox® cosmetic treatment to prevent and slow the creation of creases and lines, to ease that “angry” look, and to give a lift to your eyes and the corners of your mouth. You will look rested and relaxed and ready for whatever summer has in store.
Don’t wait. Call to schedule a consultation to discuss the benefits of Botox® cosmetic for your most summer-ready skin: (801) 268-2650.