You may be considering a tummy tuck because you have had children and want to be rid of the excess, loose tummy skin that remains. Or you may have lost a considerable amount of weight and have excess abdominal skin. Whatever your reason, deciding to have a “tummy tuck” or abdominoplasty is a serious consideration – because it is major surgery.
If you are physically fit and in good general health, you may not have excess fat. But you may find that extra daily work out is not improving the widening of your abdominal muscles or the loose, baggy skin that comes with childbirth, age or weight loss.
Are there things that may impact an optimum tummy tuck result?
- Your physical fitness, positive attitude, realistic expectations, emotional stability, and having a good support system are all factors that can aid in your recovery from surgery.
- Being physically fit won’t necessarily shorten a normal recovery time, but the more healthy and fit you are the faster your recovery will be. Your body may not actually heal faster than those of a patient who is sedentary and overweight, but you will more likely be back to your normal activities sooner. Patients who aren’t fit might experience potential side effects or complications that may prolong recovery time.
- The healthier you are definitely makes you a better surgical candidate.This is especially true for reducing any potential risks of anesthesia and surgery. Additionally, if you are in good cardiovascular shape and close to your ideal body weight, you should recover from surgery very well.
- You should never exceed Dr. Dunkley’s guidance in an effort to speed recovery. Your body will heal the way it will heal…and you shouldn’t push harder to make your healing go faster.
- Listen to and believe in your body – it will tell you when you are pushing yourself too hard – so be cautious about getting back to “working” your abdominal muscles too soon following surgery.
A tummy tuck can positively affect your self-confidence and self-image. Dr. Dunkley loves highly motivated patients and welcomes any questions you may have. Call us at (801) 268-2650 for a consultation, today!