Be Prepared For Your Surgery
- Posted on: Mar 30 2016
Your decision to undergo a cosmetic or plastic surgical procedure is one that you likely made with the support of a loved one. But you may not have considered the help you will need going forward. So, as you prepare for your surgery, here are a few things to pass along to your point-person and helper, the one who will assist you along this life-changing journey:
- Getting There and Getting Home – An important responsibility for your helper is to get you to and from surgery. Because of the effects of the anesthesia and pain medications you will be given, you will need to be driven home and perhaps even chauffeured for up to a week.
- The First Night, Especially – Your surgical staff will ask you if you have someone at home to stay with you, especially the first night home from surgery. If you don’t have a live-in partner, it is essential that you arrange for someone to stay with you. Getting up in the night, feeling ill or dizzy can be especially frightening if you are alone.
- Food and Water and You – You may be given restrictions on what you can and cannot eat, depending on your surgical procedure. Staying hydrated and eating healthy will go a long way towards your recovery. It’s a good idea to prepare meals in advance and shop for the foods you like, but better yet, let your helper cook for you. Tip: Don’t forget to take inventory of your medications and read the advisory language on the labels. This is important and should be followed, as an upset stomach, unnecessary nausea or vomiting may result from taking your meds on an empty stomach.
- Who’s Minding The Kids? – If you have small children, arrange for help with their care, whether that is your primary helper or a friend. And remember, no heavy lifting.
- Laundry, and Dishes, and Vacuums, Oh My! – Let your helper vacuum. And do the dishes and the laundry – just for the short time while you heal get back to your old and “new” self!
Call us to learn more about the cosmetic and plastic surgical procedures we offer, and let Dr. Dunkley help you be your best self, every day: (801) 268-2650.