YOU HAD BARIATRIC SURGERY – WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
- Posted on: Aug 30 2015
- You made the life-changing decision to have bariatric surgery and have lost the weight you wanted. You are healthier. You look and feel better.
- Most of the changes that accompany weight loss are positive, but saggy skin is a concern for many patients. It may affect skin hygiene, comfort and self-confidence. It may also be a daily reminder of your former self.
Does everyone experience saggy skin?
Because everyone is different, it is hard to predict how your body will look after weight loss surgery. But a majority of patients will have some complaints. How your body looks after weight loss is directly related to the elasticity of your skin. Skin in regions of your body that are most stretched from the weight gain tend to be less elastic.
What areas are most affected?
Any part of the body can be affected by loose skin. The most common area that people are concerned with is the belly and the creation of an overhanging apron, called a “pannus,” a fold of skin on the front of the abdomen. In addition to preventing clothes from fitting well, a pannus can cause a rash and skin irritation and can interfere with exercise and normal activities.
Body contouring procedures following bariatric surgery may include:
- Face Lift
- Breast Lift
- Tummy Tuck
- Lower body Lift
- Arm Lift
When should you consider plastic surgery?
- For optimal results, consider plastic surgery when you are as close to your goal weight as possible and your weight has been stable for at least three months.
- Maintaining a healthy, stable weight and engaging in a good exercise program are vital to the success of your cosmetic surgery.
- Remember to take the supplements recommended by your bariatric surgeon.
- If you smoke, stop at least one month before surgery.
What are my goals and expectations?
What parts of my body really bother me the most?
Do they bother me enough to undergo surgery?
Call for a consultation and let’s discuss the cosmetic surgical options available to you at Envision Cosmetic Surgery.