Dr Dunkley Credentials
Dr Dunkley is Board Certified in Facial Plastic Surgery & Otolaryngology; a certification governed by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA). He then completed a year long training in a Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship.
Practically, what this means is after four years of medical school, Dr Dunkley fulfilled a five-year residency in Otolaryngology (ENT) and Facial Plastic Surgery; a residency supervised by the American Osteopathic Association. Dr Dunkley then completed a year-long fellowship in cosmetic surgery supervised by the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. A Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship involves intensive instruction and comprehensive surgery of the face, breast and body.
Dr Dunkley is a Doctor of Osteopathy (DO). He received his degree from Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCOM). Two schools of medicine exist in the United States. Osteopathic medical schools were founded years after allopathic medical schools or what most people know as an MD (Medicinae Doctor). Subtle differences make the two schools of medicine unique; however, both osteopathic and allopathic physicians practice every aspect and specialty of medicine.
The American Osteopathic Association (AOA) is the supervising body for osteopathic physicians. Dr Dunkley’s training can be verified by calling the AOA (1-800-621-1773 ext. 8266) and giving the receptionist Dr Dunkley’s name. Alternatively, you may go to the AOA website (http://www.osteopathic.org) and put in his last name.
In the United States, only the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS) has decided to focus solely on cosmetic surgery. The AACS offers fellowships throughout the country. Find out more about Dr Dunkley and the AACS on their website at www.cosmeticsurgery.org.
After a cosmetic fellowship, a separate body, supervises and administers the cosmetic surgery proficiency exam. Their results for Dr Dunkley can be verified at their website. Once at their website, go to the bottom left, type in “Dunkley” and the zip code (84107). Select Dr Dunkley’s name. Since cosmetic surgery is not supervised by the ABMS, the Cosmetic Surgery Proficiency Exam certification is considered a “Certificate of added Qualification” or CAQ.
Keeping pace with new advances in medicine requires involvement in many societies. Dr Dunkley belongs to the following:
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS)
- American Osteopathic College of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery (AOCOO-HNS)
- American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Wikipedia offers a great explanation of Osteipathic Board Certification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Osteopathic_Association_Bureau_of_Osteopathic_Specialists)
- AACS (http://www.cosmeticsurgery.org)
- AOCOO-HNS (http://www.aocoohns.org/)
- AOA (http://www.osteopathic.org)
- AOABS (http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/development/aoa-board-certification/Pages/aoa-specialty-boards.aspx)
- ABMS (http://www.abms.org/About_Board_Certification/means.aspx)
- AACS – An explanation of Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic surgery (http://www.americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org/How-We-Help/cosmetic-surgery-vs-plastic-surgery.html)